Thursday 15 March 2012

Quos amor verus tenuit, tenebit

Drake wanted to meet up last night but he wouldn't say why.

"I just want to talk for a while, you know ..." he said when I asked him what it was all about. He talked of his childhood.

"Even cloudy skies have their days of sunshine. My days of sunshine were those I spent with my uncle, from my mother's side. He was adopted by my mother's family before she was born but they were as close as any two siblings can be. He would come and take me to the seaside and he would sit by me for hours, just gazing at the waves. He taught me that sometimes it's better if you listen because a person who knows how to really listen, bears no arrogance. He taught me how to love myself and accept myself for what I was. Those were the days I hated myself and my father would see to it that I hated my existence more by the day.
Small details can change a whole life. My uncle always strived to make me love my father. In the end he got me to accept the fact that my father and I could not lead separate lives. Maybe, that's the reason why I'm still looking after my old man.

Eventually my father learned to accept me as well. But that is a story to be told in another day. And it's not as peachy as the one you've just been told ..."

No comments:

Post a Comment